Kweku's journey to the sahara

Monday, October 16, 2006

Back in time



Walking on the streets of Bamako brings one to back in time I think it is part of the appeal of the place so if you are looking for five star hotels and everything then it’s not the place for you
Life functions around bare necessities, the throw away culture is not here I have not seen a scrap yard yet, I mist kingly thought I have found one there were all old Peugeots parked in rows about 30 year old 505 and 404s,i asked is this where they come to die? But was told cars don’t die in Mali and there are lot of profs
The other thing that will drive animal rights activist up the wall is the donkey carts, oh its such a sight all the donkeys I have seen pulling these carts are so depressing looking and are really sad sometime I feel like getting them some apples but any expression of fondness and pity is met with curiosity of what planet I am from, I hope they don’t work all their entire life it will not be very fare
Other stuff to watch out for is police men with whistles they use it like football ref to stop cars even when the lights are green, the police it seems work round the clock here for a lot of reasons
I recently had a brush with them
I was very lucky on Saturday night whilst walking from the net café to where I live and was stopped by the police.
A truck pulled along side me and three police officers jumped out with guns and batons surrounding me, I was really freaked out,
The senior officer in the front seat shouted peppier, so I spoke the bit of French that I know. I speak a little French I said, They must have thought I was a spy with my miners touch on my fore head, he goes identity so I gathered they wanted some document I thank God just that evening I put my passport on the side pocket of my laptop bag so I gave one of the officers my passport he checked and handed it back to me and was asked to go I was so relieved, I have been told that if I didn’t have an id they would have taken me to the police station till someone brought my passport or a bit of money could do the trick

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home