Kweku's journey to the sahara

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

From the Gambia to Senegal






My journey begun about 12 midday I was confronted with a lot of harsh realities as soon as I stepped onto the first bush taxi, it took awhile before we got to Banjul station from Brikama, the driver decided to be cheeky to a police man and he decided to keep us waiting, from then we got to Banjul and I was dropped off at some where that was hard to work out my way but fortunately was able to find a taxi to take me to the terminal for the ferry
Now the fun begins
I always thought I was strong but I was put to the test both mentally physically and emotionally and was close to tear because of the in ability for any one to see the sort of suffering that people had to got through
When the taxi dropped me I needed some CFA money so I was looking for somewhere to change money and found someone to change money on the black market, I just could not wait in a long queue with my luggage so I was lucky this man changed some money for me and helped me get a ticket for the ferry, the people around were warning me about where I was putting my wallet even though I thought it was safe at where I put it thank God I listened to them. The guy was able to bribe my through a long queue with his own money, so I appreciated his help and paid back his money. I was finally inside the building so knew I had a passage to take me across
Now the whole thing get rough whilst waiting for the gates to open the gate on the other side opened and people started to rush out and then our gates opened it was really rough I was carrying about 40kilos on my main bag pack 20 kilos in the other bag in my hand 15 kilos in my small rug sack in front of me like a kangaroo and guitar in the other hand.
There was a mini stampede into the terminal but I thought I could cope and went through it ok but we were unable to go onto the ferry so we had to go off the docks and wait this was hard without any luggage let alone what I had, the soldiers started to use force to force people back it was really hard finally made it back and found some piece of precious earth to stand on. Eventually we had some invisible signal that the ferry was coming and people started to rushed again they were kept abay till all the people and the trucks had come off everyone started to rush I was in the thick of it by now I wanted to get out of it but could not get out so I had to face the situation head on this time there was a major stamped sheep and goats had fallen and people were tripping over them and falling on them and still people were still going and falling, I was still in it holding on to everything my guitar was beginning to crush and still I held on to it was making its way in between some woman’s leg and she was shouting I tried to help but it was hard, it was really hard and I asked one guy who had less load to help me and will give him some money I was lucky he knew he had to because I was at a critical point where all the sheep were on the ground and needed one arm to manoeuvre I finally got through, it was like I had come out of hells gate and was in front of havens door’s was on board now and knew why those people were warning me about my wallet and money belt, thank Got I tucked it inside my private area
the ferry took a while but we took off in the end and i breathed a sighof relief and said a little prayer,i got to the borders of Senegal and had to get a ride on a horse cart i was glad it was not a donkey

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home