Kweku's journey to the sahara

Sunday, January 28, 2007

FROMO TOUMBUCTU TO ESSAKANE






The festival of the desert begun on the 11th Jan 2007,I had made arrangement for transport to the venue in a 4 x 4 truck which departed after about 3 hrs of waiting, we set off on a desert track for about 2hrs eventually we arrived in Essakane after some bumpy desert ride, it’s a journey only for the four by fours
The location was excellent just as I imagined full of sand and dunes. It was time to take it all in after the ride, I found a place to lodge under a big tent where I placed my small tent. I was glad I was sharing a tent space with the two ladies I had shared the ride with. We got on so it was easy in that respect
After a bit of a stroll I found my new friends from Canada Paul and Sheila so we went for a little drink in one of the beer tents which was quite a stone throw from their tent.
About 10 pm we went to check the main stage and the festival was officially opened. Speeches were made, the usual protocols and the festival was on the way with some Toureg traditional bands, it was really good start and I felt good. The only thing, which came in between the enjoyment and me, is the African soldiers who always seem to want to sharpen their batons whenever there is an occasion. This has been the norm in most circumstances in most countries that I have visited.
The setting was very beautiful around the immediate area was some sand dunes where fires were lit in a nice circular lines. The first night was good and the music stopped and carried on right through the nigh
Day two was good in Essakane a lot of activities it feel like a whole village has emerged from traders of little souvenirs to big market stalls selling all sort of things from Mali, there were all sort of people from all corners of the word mixing and having fun as well as sharing sometimes, it was really a good atmosphere. There was virtually no police presence even thou there were some soldiers stationed nearby they kept quite a low profile. I think this also epitomised the quality of the people around. I think we all had one aim. Hence a very nice festival.
There was lot of water considering it was on the desert, the only disappointment was the loos and the wash rooms, but I think it was to be expected as it was being stretched to the limit and there was no cleaners to my knowledge.in.there were some few little bits that wasn’t up to scratch but in all the organisers have done well in putting everything together in such a remote spot. The sound quality was also superb .in all its thumbs up well done to the organisers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home