Kweku's journey to the sahara

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Out of Toumbuctu






Just as it is hard to get to Toumbuctu it is hard to get out of Toumbuctu our journey started about 12 noon to get out to the port for the pinasse or the powered boat we eventually got to the port about 2pm but had to sit there for some time waiting for some more people to turn up eventually we gave an ultimatum to the operator Babylon is his name, instead of him telling us the whole truth he set off but on an incredible slow speed. This was to ensure that other pinase caught up with us to give us more people. Eventually we stopped and camped about 6 30pm.it was a good location but there was no wood to make any fire, we managed to get a bit of wood but the fire died sooner so went to sleep shortly after.
The next morning we were all woken up quite early and our journey started with few more new people, the energy in the boat has changed since because the new arrivals were unhappy about the charge as they seem to have paid more than the rest of us so there was a bit of tension which Paul helped to at least temporary resolve. Eventually the dust settled and we all started to relax a bit on the Niger. Our nest stop was Niafonky the home town of Ali Faka Toure we went to Ali’s hotel for a drink this was after 6pm so when we left. We went just to find a camping site and camped for the night
The next morning we carried on as usual this time the boat has picked up steam but we are not on target as we lost lot of time on the first day.
By now the atmosphere on the boat has changed and people have been getting on and making connections .I have been a bit unwell with cold and am coughing which is making me a bit grumpy but I am staying cheerful on top of everything I have been nervous because I am not a very good swimmer and I get frighten when people walk on the sides the boat shifts deeper on one side
We travelled quite a bit and got to the bit of the Niger where it has claimed quite some land to form one of the biggest lakes in Africa
I was quite nervous at this section, as there was no sight of land and all sort of fears sets in my mind. At this point I snapped few times when I thought people were being irresponsible by unnecessarily walking and moving to just one side of the boat, I also thought our captain wasn’t assertive enough and was too chilled t o entrusted with my life hence have to make my views known by him and every one so I spoke up and made my point, night was falling by the time we cleared the lake so another search for camping site begun, the boat crew found some where but not everyone was happy about this choice so the had to drive on till we all agreed with the choice. By now some of us were a bit fed up as we were supposed to camped two nights and travelled for three days
We got off and put our tents up, then me and Paul made fire and prepared some gravy and boiled some potatoes it was probably the best meal I have had for days we all enjoyed it and the retired to our tents Sheila was a bit concern that we were camping in ants territory so we made sure the fire was burning well when we went to our tents
The morning was mild I got up quite early and did my packing and was ready so was Paul and Sheila we went and woke the guys on the boat, soon we well on the way this bit was quite picturesque we stopped at some villages on the way for some few bits for the board chef and a bit of walking, it was interesting at some of the villages.
Eventually we got to our final destination Mopti, I phoned my contact that Sandy my friend in Bamako had arranged, as it happened he was taking me to the same place as Paul and Sheila had planned to stay, it seems like we are destined to be together so we kept it that way and made our arrangements to Dogon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home